Pages

Tuesday 20 August 2013

I am going to learn to ride a surf board

This is my third round of 12WBT. Hard to admit that as my last round was not a great one. This round I decided to put the hard yards in to planning. Problem was that I found it hard to think of non-food rewards. I came up with some rewards that I quite liked but nothing really captured my imagination.

This week I booked a flight to Brisbane. I go there each year in November or December for a little under a week. I spend a couple of days in Brisbane catching up with friends followed by a couple of days somewhere else. Usually it is with two friends but neither of them is available at the time I have booked (of course, in my usual fashion I did not consult them about my plans before I booked, that would have been too sensible). I usually head to the Sunshine Coast with them for a three-night girls' long weekend. With them not being available I thought to myself that I would just head up to the Sunshine Coast anyway and spend a few days relaxing. Somewhere in all my thinking I came up with the idea of going to Broadbeach on the Gold Coast. I had been there a couple of times when I lived in Brisbane but had never stayed. I always meant to go back and spend a weekend or so there but I had never got around to it.

Anyway, one thing led to another. I booked some accommodation at Broadbeach and then, while I was mulling it over about what I would do with myself while I was there, a thought popped up in my mind. Learn to surf! And rather like that character in the Dice Man I did a deal with myself and decided that if there were surf board riding classes at Broadbeach then I was going to do it - I was going to give it a go and learn to ride a surf board. A few seconds of Googling later and yes, there are classes. A quick email asking about it and requesting that I not be put in a children's class (my only stipulation) and I am going to do it.

It is always something I have wanted to do. I am terrified and excited all at once. I know I won't master it in one or two lessons, and I am not sure how the old knee replacement is going to cope but bugger it, I am going to give it a go anyway. In fact, I even Googled some exercises I can do to prepare.

It has only just dawned on me that I have just actively sought out an exercise-based reward. Who would have ever thought that possible - certainly not me! I love being over 50 (I am nearly 57) as I now have the courage to try things that in my younger days I would have been too embarrassed to give a go.




No comments:

Post a Comment