Pages

Tuesday 19 February 2013

End of Week 1 of 12WBT

The first week of Round 1 of 12WBT is done and dusted and what a week it has been! So much new stuff to learn and so much to organise. I may be an obsessive compulsive Virgo but I like to do my obsessing on my terms. But not any more - what I have been doing clearly hasn't been working. I have felt my life has been in chaos for some time. And it is no longer an endearing state to be in. So, I have made the commitment to see this through, to do my best and to change old habits. I just have to suck it up and enjoy. And dare I say it, but overall, this week has been fun. As well as challenging! I have been hungry (more about that below), tired and sore.
 I have started some different classes at gym including Body Balance to improve my flexibility. That first class was a killer but I figure it can only get better from now on. Body Pump I had done before (the last time 13 years ago) so that was quite fun. Seniors Gym I balked at as at 57 I don't see myself as a 'senior' but it was good as it was led by an instructor and I got to use a whole heap of machines I hadn't tried before (under the watchful eye of an 18-year-old gym instructor). 

What I am most proud of? Well, sticking to my exercise and nutrition plans must tie for first place, but doing a planned shop for a week's meals is right up there. I have now done three grocery shops using a list. And yes, it has made it so much easier to be able to prepare quick and easy (and tasty) meals and to not fall back on those yummy (but expensive) takeaways.

I am also proud of some of the things I met head-on that I hadn't been expecting this week. I didn't expect to try and come to terms with how to use Pinterest to make an Inspiration Board or to try to set up a Polar heart rate monitor and a new set of scales to weigh myself. Actually, I haven't quite managed to set up the scales yet but I have until Wednesday weigh-in to work that one out. (And while I am being honest, the Polar heart rate monitor is still a bit of a mystery.) I was already using the MyFitnessPal app so thank goodness for that. I think my brain would have exploded if there had been more. Oh yes, and I decided that while I am embracing these new things I thought as well keep a bit of a Blog. So here goes!
I have just done a summary of my first week on the 12WBT. The amount of time spent exercising is good but I have not eaten my snacks so I have eaten fewer than the 1200 calories a day we are allowed. I have also burnt fewer calories than I expected.

So, the lessons learned from Week 1 that I will take into Week 2 are for me to:
  • Eat my snacks
  • Up my exercise intensity by adding in extra cycling before my Seniors Gym class
  • Keep up the Body Balance class.
It won't happen overnight but it will happen!
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Mish would b proud as am I - you r doing all the right things! Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb i am so excited for you. You will feel so much healthier by eating clean and exercise is a natural high that becomes addictive but in a good way. I can't wait to hear more xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!!!!!!! yes you are an obsessive compulsive Virgo, if you do something, you do it very very well!! and I thought you told me 1200 calories was too low ...

    ReplyDelete